Doorgaan naar hoofdcontent

Social Media a necessity for Consultants ?

Introduction

I work as a Enterprise Application Integration / Service Oriented / Business Process Management consultant at a company. I started using Blogger, LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter almost 2 years ago. I started with LinkedIn and almost a year later with my blog, recently i started using Twitter and Facebook. I also tried Plaxo and Hyves but I dropped them.
My first reaction to Twitter and Blogger was the same as the one I get today:
  • I have no time to Blog
  • I do not know what to Blog
  • Why should I Blog?
And with Twitter:
  • I do not know what to Tweet
  • I am not interested in what a person does in the bathroom
  • Too may Tweets to read
  • Stupid stuff

Within this blog item i will try to explain why I think it is a necessity (or can be) for every consultant.

Blogging

I started blogging with knowledge storage in mind. When I found a solution for a particular problem or when I did not want to forget how I did some things, i started to make a Blog item for it. This way I could always look up how to do this. After a couple of Blogs i got some remarks/comments/questions on my Blog, so i started to realize that my blog was also good for personal branding.

I also noted that it was also good company branding, because at seminars and conferences, people started to "recognize" me, so it was very good for networking as well.

Twitter

With Twitter the same story. I just wanted to know what it could mean for me, so i started using it out of curiosity. I use it almost only for business related tweets. I started to follow a lot of interesting people about interesting topics within my work field. And they follow me back as well. I use the Tweets to promote my Blogging site. I noticed that a lot of people started to read my blog and i started to read a lot of other interesting blogs.
So for me Twitter:
  • Brings me in contact with interesting people
  • It extends my knowledge within the field
  • It gives me personal exposure within the field
  • It gives me company exposure within the field
  • It gives me interesting insights in people's mind and thoughts within the field
  • It keeps me up-to-date with the latest insights within the field of EAI/SOA/BPM/Cloud
  • It extends my virtual network of people within the field


What to Tweet?

  • Well Tweet about what keeps you busy as a consultant
  • Tweet about topics that you would read yourself
  • Interesting articles, blogs and websites
  • Tweet about a new Blog item you made
  • Tweet about an interesting project your company finished
  • Tweet about an interesting solution you advised for a customer

When you follow a lot of people you can use the Twitter's List option. This way you can add people to a particular list, for example BPM, EAI, SOA, Oracle etc.

Who to Follow?
I follow interesting people within my field but also people with other interesting topics, like social media.
I also people follow people that have some interesting insights of what's going on at a customer. This can help me as a consultant what problems or thoughts customers have.

LinkedIn
I use LinkedIn as my personal CV and keep it up-to-date. This is a site that customers always will check and it also contains a link to my blog- and twitter site. It will give me leads to interesting projects.

Conclusion

I think that social media is a common good within the Consultancy profession. It will keep you up-to-date of the latest insights within the fields and you can track customers need.


Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

OSB 10gR3 and SWA and MTOM

This blog is about using soap with attachments and the use of MTOM within the OSB (10gR3). A service is created that accepts a soap with attachment (DocumentService) and translates it to a service that accepts a binary element. MTOM is used for performance reasons for the second. Some notes: * For the use of attachments you need RPC-style document instead of the usual document-style. This due to the fact that the document-style limits a message to a single . * A service can not have both SWA and MTOM within OSB. First a WSDL is setup for the DocumentService: The $attachments variable holds the attachments and the body holds the attachment data. Also other data is stored within the attachment element (see h

Microservices mindmap

"The tree" - See also   my photo page When you are fairly new within the Microservices land, there are a lot of terms fired at you. So also for my own understanding i have made a mindmap. I think it has a good status now, so that i can share it with you. As always feedback is very welcome ! You can download the mindmap here .

Book review: Data Management at Scale (Piethein Strengholt)

 This blog is a review of the book "Data Management at Scale (See also at bol.com ) Data Management is a hot topic nowadays and this book does a fantastic job at adding value to this topic. It is a must read and one of the few technical books I finished reading in a weekend. The book gives a fantastic overview on how to implement a Data Mesh data architecture. The Data Mesh concept is explained by Martin Fowler here . The book is a good mix between conceptual and implementation architecture level. It gives a lot of examples of how this architecture at scale can work, for both small and big companies. It is practical and I used it to implement it at one of my customers. The book describes an architecture in which the focus is on the DIAL (Data- and Integration Access Layer).  On a high level the book covers the following topics: The key principles for data management at scale - Domain-Driven Design  - Domain Data Stores - Meta data management Ready Data Store The concept of servin